Hey there! We'd just like to let you know that LowBiasGaming uses cookies to manage your website experience. More info can be found at our privacy policy.
Got it!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nomination: 1942
One of the first breakaway hits from Capcom and a game that spawned the 19xx series is my nomination for the Hall Of Fame this go around. While not as popular as other games from Capcom that would be released later in the 80's this is a game the firmly planted a flag for Capcom in both the arcade and home console line.

1942 is a top down, vertical scrolling shooter in which you pilot your plane "Super Ace" to attack Tokyo and in the process destroy the entire Japanese fleet. A bit of an odd twist as this game was made in Japan if you ask me.

While graphically nothing special (the game was released in 1984), the game play is solid and challenging without being too difficult even for an arcade game. It was ported to several different platforms including the Famicom in 1985. Other systems include the modern Virtual Console, the MSX, NES PB-8801, Windows Mobile, Game Boy Color, PlayStation, Saturn, Xbox, PlayStation 2, Amstrad CPC, ZX Spectrum, the Commobore 64 and the PSP.

The game easily surpassed the popularity of the previous games from Capcom, Vulgus, Sonson and Pirate Ship Higemaru. In 1987 the game was raked first on the Euromax UK Arcade chart, right above Wonder Boy.

It was also the first title from Capcom to spawn successful sequels with five titles in the 19XX series released from 1987 to 2000.

I have picked this game for my nomination for it's place in history as both a super successful and fun game in general, but also the first really successful release from Capcom. While the graphics, music, and "special effects" are very bland by todays standards and even were a little underwhelming at the time, the game play is solid and that is what has allowed the game to survive and thrive even now, over 30 years later.

I humbly introduce 1942 as my nomination for the VG HoF: Class II.