Hey there! We'd just like to let you know that LowBiasGaming uses cookies to manage your website experience. More info can be found at our privacy policy.
Got it!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jade's Top 5 Most Overrated Video Game Songs
Hello everyone. It's probably no secret that I love me some game music and game remixes. However, whenever I come across an album of fine tunes, be it OST or remixes, I often see that one song come up again and again and again across the board. This is where I thought I would mention these songs, and then follow them up with something from the same game that I enjoyed just as much if not better, that I find underrepresented.

As always, keep in mind that when I say "overrated", that does not mean I'm saying it's bad!On the contrary, all of the songs I'm about to mention are great. But they are not the only songs in their respective soundtracks, yet they get hundreds of remixes while plenty of other songs get ignored.

Pollyanna - I Believe in You (Mother)

I almost feel bad picking on the Mother series like this, Nintendo's underdog that it is. Still, seeing almost half of Starman.net's Rock Candy albums consisting of covers of this one song is what puts it on this list.

Aerith's Theme (Final Fantasy 7)

I almost picked One-Winged Angel instead, but I decided to go with this one since it's just as played out as OWA and it's forever associated with perhaps the most overrated scene in a somewhat overrated game. (Personally, I found Galuf's death from FF5 to be a bigger tearjerker)

Gerudo Valley (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)/ Tal-Tal Heights (The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening)

One one's a twofer. It might be cheating, but I have two from the Zelda series that get a LOT of air time. These two are often the songs used to represent Ocarina of Time and Link's Awakening, respectively.

Vampire Killer (Castlevania)

I guess it's because it's a matter of it being the very first level of the very first game, but this song feels like it's been remixed more than every other song in the Castlevania series combined. Even the representative tunes from Castlevania 2 and 3, Bloody Tears and Beginning, respectively, don't get done nearly as much.

Dr. Wily's Fortress (Megaman 2)

The Megaman series is known for having awesome kickass music, and while this song is no exception, boy oh boy do people ear-gasm over this one more than any other in the series. You'd think it were the only song in MM2.

So, now that I listed the ones I feel are overrated, here are some from the same games that I think I like better.

Snowman (Mother)

A really pretty song that we hear in just this one part of the game. We'd hear it remixed in the sequel, EarthBound, but again, just for the one scene at Snowwood Boarding House.

Birth of a God (Final Fantasy 7)

I said before that I almost put One-Winged Angel up there with my overrated top 5. This would still have been my counter-song, as while OWA has pretty much become Seph's theme song, the one, that we hear for his penultimate form, seems to be mostly forgotten; while it lacks Ominous Latin Chanting, it still rocks every bit as hard.

Epona's Song (Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)/ Tail Cave (Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening)

Simply put, Epona's Song is gorgeous. 'Nuff said. As for the Tail Cave theme, it's a great dungeon theme that sets the tone for the rest of the dungeons in the game. Shame we only hear it for that first dungeon early on, but at least this was the first game where each dungeon had its own music instead of recycling the same song for each one. 

Wicked Child (Castlevania)

A really rockin' and catchy song from the first game. While Vampire Killer would get reused plenty of times throughout the series, this one would never be heard from again; not in any of the game, that is.

Bubbleman's Theme (Megaman 2)

This floaty tune from MM2 fits with the water theme perfectly. While water levels are often maligned by gamers, this song is one of many reasons I like Bubbleman and his stage.

I can agree with a lot of these.

I never used to hate the Wily Stage 1 music from MM2 till YouTube got it's evil tendrils in it.