Hey there! We'd just like to let you know that LowBiasGaming uses cookies to manage your website experience. More info can be found at our privacy policy.
Got it!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ground Control To Major Tom
If you're of a certain age, as I am, you probably grew up (or at least once) saw Labyrinth. That amazing Jim Henson movie about a baby brother being taken by the Goblin King because his overly sensitive teenage sister wished it so. The message of the movie was pretty clear "You can't take things for granted." It's only said about a dozen times in the film. It's a good lesson and it's a great movie.

One of the more amazing characters, for me anyway, was Jareth The Goblin King. He just looked amazing. He had an awesome voice, he did that awesome trick with the glass balls. He was this strange mix between human and Muppet. He was a little scary, but super intriguing at the same time.

Of course that was David Bowie. Today, in the early morning, he passed away at the age of 69 after fighting cancer.

I don't usually come out and do a big post thing when every performer passes away. Natalie Cole passed away last week and, while I'm pretty bummed about that her impact on me as a musician was much less than Bowie's.

After Labyrinth and my obvious reaction to the film, my parents thought it a good time to introduce me to Bowie via vinyl. Bowie was never a huge favorite of theirs but there was enough in the house that I could get a pretty good idea of what it was all about.

To this day I'm not totally sure what it was about him and his music that I really liked. Maybe it was being different without being belligerent about it? Maybe it was the stunning variety of styles and songs that he was able to produce. Maybe it was the dramatic change in himself though his various characters like Ziggy Stardust that just kinda hit with someone going through puberty later in life (as I was when Ziggy became my go to)? I honestly have no answers to those questions.

What I do know is that, even though his last few albums didn't do much for me musically, he has a huge part of what I consider to be good music and knowing that the man that created all of that isn't going to get to create anymore is pretty depressing.

That said, you can expect some Bowie in the next podcast for sure... in one way or another... and I'll leave you with a little mix below of him, covers, and various other neat things.

Obviously I can't put everything I want here, I'd have the whole of the internet. Share your favorites and thoughts.

[Image: ragnatzsignature.jpg]