Hey there! We'd just like to let you know that LowBiasGaming uses cookies to manage your website experience. More info can be found at our privacy policy.
Got it!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Should we Kickstart the Past?
I'm sure most of us saw it coming a mile away, but Inafune has formally announced he's opening not one, but two Kickstarters for his  Megaman Legends-style spinoff, Red Ash. One for the game itself and another for an anime based on it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mig...ble-legend

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mig...y-studio4c

Mighty #9 still isn't even out yet and Inafune's Kickstarting a spinoff already. Again, I question developers' over-reliance on Kickstarter panhandling anymore. Lab Zero, the good folks who brought us Skullgirls, also just recently announced a new IP, an action/RPG called Indivisible. But with it came the announcement of an IndieGoGo campaign to fund it coming later this year. I'm thrilled to see a brand new game from Lab Zero; as excellent as Skullgirls was I have no doubt Indivisible will be amazing as well. But I did also question their reliance on crowdfunding as well. Well, they responded to me, and here's what they had to say:

"Publishers are TERRIFIED right now because they don't know what will sell and games are very expensive to make.

We wanted to avoid crowdfunding again, but this deal is potentially very good for us if we succeed. FAR better than a traditional publishing deal would be."

Maybe they're on to something. I figured developers were resorting to crowdfunding because they had no faith in their product, but perhaps it is the publishers instead that are overly paranoid and only funding those projects they feel are a sure bet. Maybe game publishers are going the way of the dodo and developers approaching their fans directly to invest in their new product is the way of the future? Or at least put smaller developers on even footing with the big AAA publishers like Konami and Capcom. Guess I'll just have to see...

Messages In This Thread
Should we Kickstart the Past? - by MephistoZX - 05-11-2015, 03:25 PM
RE: Should we Kickstart the Past? - by Jason - 05-11-2015, 11:33 PM
RE: Should we Kickstart the Past? - by MephistoZX - 05-12-2015, 07:19 AM
RE: Should we Kickstart the Past? - by Jason - 05-12-2015, 08:53 AM
RE: Should we Kickstart the Past? - by MephistoZX - 05-14-2015, 10:41 AM
RE: Should we Kickstart the Past? - by Jason - 06-23-2015, 12:22 AM
RE: Should we Kickstart the Past? - by MephistoZX - 06-23-2015, 08:04 AM
RE: Should we Kickstart the Past? - by Jason - 06-23-2015, 09:50 AM
RE: Should we Kickstart the Past? - by JadePharaoh - 07-04-2015, 07:10 PM
RE: Should we Kickstart the Past? - by Jason - 07-06-2015, 08:06 AM
RE: Should we Kickstart the Past? - by Ragnatz - 07-06-2015, 09:03 AM