Hey there! We'd just like to let you know that LowBiasGaming uses cookies to manage your website experience. More info can be found at our privacy policy.
Got it!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jade Rants: Mighty #9 Needs More Money...

Wait, didn't they already make, like, 20 times the base needed amount?

my comments are this
I hate dlc, more specifically, I hate planned dlc. If they wanted to make dlc, they should have waited until the game was out first, and then see what the community was wanting.

And one more note, I don't like to support DLC unless the dlc is for a cause (like the Yogscast Simon dlc for Sega and Sonic All-Stars racing 2, or the dlc characters for castle crashers. each one of those state that proceeds go toward certain charities), or if the dlc is included in a bundle of some sort, like in game of the year edition of games like The Elder Scrolls series and Borderlands (though only a small handful of the dlc was included in the borderlands2 goty, which I found stupid).

All in all, I don't like dlc unless there's a legit reason to buy it.
dOn'T mInD mE! i'M jUsT cOnTaGiOuS!

Play Orbs CCG and earn me and you a free bunch o' cards: http://orbsccg.com/r/4r6x B)
My take on this is the biggest issue I have with places like Kickstarter.

They've made more money in the fundraising stage of the game than they'd make in sales in over 2 years. There is no longer any obligation to make an awesome game. They could just kick out crap... or keep on asking for more money every 6-9 months to get new features added to the game. They've made enough already to just give the damn game away.

I like me some Capcom/Mega Man styles games and I've bought quite a few of em in my day... but as interested as I was in this... I don't think I'm even the least bit interested anymore.
And KickStarter has gotten out of control...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324...tato-salad

I don't mind KickStarter as much. I think it's a good way for up-and-coming developers to get a leg up in the industry. I've contributed to a few of them now, including M#9. And I contributed rather generously to Skullgirls' IndieGogo campaign; theirs was due to the serious circumstances of the dev team getting laid-off in mid-project through no fault of their own. I agree that its being abused somewhat. I mean, if more people want to donate, power to them, but it's getting a little out of hand, and more than a little bit tacky.

I did some quick math here... at the level of money they've earned it's enough to get 192,000 + people a copy of the game (at $20 a pop), and has raised only $ 2,945,170 more dollars than was requested.
Crowdfunding fails get even better. Read and be amazed at the crowdfunded fan convention last weekend that turned out to just be one big Epic Fail all-around:
http://www.dailydot.com/geek/dash-con-co...sy-tumblr/

This is my only response:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324...tato-salad

T-T
I'm gonna play, I guess, angels advocate here just because I do feel this way about the majority of publically funded campaigns.

I like the idea that people like us can go and send $10 to a developer to create something we're interested in. I like that. I mean... I play music for tips. It's not all that different at the end of the day.

However, the problem I see comes from the abuse of the system. I think Might No.9 is an unintentional abuse of the system and I think the potato salad thing is absolutely an intentional one. It happens because it's a system that allows it to happen.

Ragnatz and I have had a few debates about this whole thing and we generally agree to disagree on a few things here and there, but my method to solve this problem would be this, and I'll use Kickstarter as my scapegoat as it's the largest system out there right now.

Again... this is just what I, personally, think should be done...

You have a project you want to get funded by Kickstarter. Awesome, great, good for you. You sit down and figure you'll need $10,000 to get it going. (Nice round number, makes it easy). So you setup the campaign and get all the social media and video and all that put together and whatever else you need to do.

Kickstarter says to you "Ok, you need $10,000. We can estimate for your project type that will take 6 months to raise. (Again, just a random number that makes it kinda easy to work with.) If at the end of that 6 months you have not raised the total amount, we will take a percentage of that but give you the rest. You can then try again to raise the money, but only up to 75% of the amount you originally requested. After 9 months (another random number), you can post another campaign for the original (or greater) amount. If you do reach your goal at the end of that time, we will allow you to raise an additional 10% of the total amount, of which we (Kickstarter) will take 7%. Again, you're not allowed to have another campaign of a great or equal amount to the first for 9 months."

This would, effectively eliminate stretch goals and all of that on Kickstarter.

"But wait!" you cry and wave your hands violently at me. "What if someone wants to find the project after that time? What will they do!?" you fall to the ground weeping.

That's an easy one. It's not like the dev can't take donations or anything else like that privately. They just can't use Kickstarter to do it for whatever that period of time is. There's Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, WordPress, LiveJournal and about a million other options for social media that people can use to promote their project.

Hell you can even throw together a quick little website with Weebly or Wix or whatever that takes almost no time to do at all and direct folks there via social media or even the Kickstarter page.

It works for Daniel Remar and all those folks doing Minecraft resource packs.

In the end I'm not saying crowd funding projects is bad. I'm just saying it's a bit of a mess and needs a lot of tweeking to make it better for everyone... not just the devs who rake in a ton of money with nothing but a few sketches, some chiptune music and a little bit of nostalgia on a page and the promise of your name in the credits for your donation.

Case in point there is Mighty No.9. I'm kinda excited about the game. I loves me some Inafune action games... but it's gotten so big and bloated that doesn't feel the same to me anymore. Kinda like when an indie band gets signed to a big label and now has a ton of money to work with. The spirit changes. I'd say compare Mega Man 8 to Mega Man 9. Know what I mean?

I mean, right now MN9 has made enough money that nearly 200,000 people could have paid for a copy of the game at $20 a pop. That's before anyone even has the game. Where's the incentive anymore to release something that's going to live up to those expectations? They've got their money already. Not saying I think that they're going to just throw a bit of crap into a download and send it out to folks... but what's to stop that from happening elsewhere.

Ragnatz made the point once while we were talking about this that it should be something like a "buyer beware" situation where if you pay for it and it's crap... it's not really the devs fault. They didn't make you buy it (Raggy, if I remember that wrong I do apologize and please correct me). And I can agree with that. Absolutely I do. But if, as the time goes on, the devs on that project decide to cut a few corners and not shine up them graphics as much because they already made more money just asking for money than they ever planned on with the actual product... that's where I say the system needs to have safeguards.

Like I said, I like the system but it's an easy system to abuse. I just think it should be changed to prevent that abuse.

I don't want to do away with the system, I just want to make it impossible to abuse.
And you do make a very good point. I'd say I've lucked out in this area so far. The crowdfunders I've contributed to, such as the Skullgirls IGG and the OCR's Final Fantasy 6 album, Balance & Ruin, were quite clearly labors of love and they show. Their creators have gone all out to make sure fans get the best product they can possibly give us. And I have little reason not to believe I'll be able to say the same for M#9. I'm sure there are other crowdfunders for projects where the creator is not so passionate about the product they're selling. In fact I've seen some such projects on Retsuprae's new series, 'KickStarter Non-Starters'. Those ones are the obvious ones, though; I'm sure there are scams where the packaging is a lot more slick and you're right in that I don't see many safeguards against this, if any.

Oh, and the Mighty KickStarter Saga continues. Just... watch:

I can't fault Keiji for his big ambitions, but the guy REALLY needs to reel it back a little. Release the promised game before you start teasing a MML-style spin-off and DEFINITELY before you start soliciting KickStarter donations for it already!! Again, HOW dependent on crowdfunding is this franchise going to be??